Monday, June 10, 2013

Feeling Sentimental

            Sometimes, often times actually, I take my relationship with my husband for granted. And then I start reading all these marriage advice articles and "100 questions to ask your boyfriend before you get married" and things like that with questions like "Do you ever want children?" Or "Will it bother you if I burp or pass gas in front of you?". To me these seem like ridiculous questions and I could easily answer almost all of them probably correctly from his point of view and vice versa.

            At our wedding we played "The Shoe Game" where you sit back to back in chairs and we each had our own shoe in one hand, and the other's shoe in the other hand. Then some one asked us questions like "Who is the most crabby in the morning?" and things like that, and we literally answered all of them questions the exact same way except one. "Who gets control of the TV remote?" (we both said each other). But there even was one question, "Who gets sunburned more easily?", and we both first put up Tanner's (my husband) shoe and then shortly after put that down and put up my shoe. I guess what my point is, is that we literally share everything with each other. I mean every thing, including using the toilet while the other person is in the bathroom or with the door open. And while I understand that not everyone wants this kind of relationship, I am really thankful for it. No one has ever known me better than him and vice versa.

            I think a huge part of this is the time that we started dating and the amount of time that we have already been together in our young lives. We started officially dating when we were 15 years old. Right after 9th grade during the summer (We had a strange "relationship" about 6 months before that but it mostly consisted of talking over AIM-aol instant messenger- and him randomly kissing me without ever talking to me or making eye contact first, so I don't count that one). We never went on breaks or really even have had a fight that lasts longer than 24 hours. We literally grew up together and shared so many of the same experiences that shaped us into the couple that we are now. We had the same first job together, working at subway with a bunch of our best friends. We quickly became a part of each other's families- to the point where my dad would pick Tanner up after school and go grocery shopping with him before bringing him back to our house so that I could actually hang out with him.

            We got married 2 days after our 6 year anniversary. That may not seem like a lot to people who have been married for a long time, but we were 21, so 6 years together was about a quarter of our lives spent together. I just have to say that I am so happy that when we got married, there really wasn't much as far as finding stuff out about each other or digging up each other's dirt or seeing "the real person" because we were already completely open with each other. We seem to agree on so many issues with out even saying. We can look at each other and know exactly what the other is thinking and then proceed to laugh about it.

          
        Now get me straight here, I'm not at all saying that we are special and that other couples don't have relationships like this, I know a ton of them out there that do and it's awesome. I'm also not saying that we have a perfect relationship, because if you have ever hung out with us, there's a huge chance you have seen us bicker or have heard Tanner make a joke and me overreact to it. What I'm just trying to say, is that I so often take this relationship for granted and that there are a lot of people out there who do not have such a special thing. I really am just extremely thankful that our souls have been united during our time here on earth.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...